You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Motor not starting, not firing  (Read 440 times)

May 09, 2017, 09:23:44 AM
Read 440 times

Wanski

• Information Offline
Motor not starting, not firing
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »
Ok, Its a new year with a new problem! My 1997 Evenrude 200 Oceanpro outboard finally started with the muffs after using a some starting fluid. I put it in the water - ran great -put it in its slip. I came back two days later wouldn't start, just cranking, not firing. Tried the starting fluid to no avail. Went back to try again two days after that and it started right up, fired off after a couple cranks. Once the motor starts it will keep starting and run fine.  Went back yesterday, wont start, checked for spark and could not get spark from three different plugs. Got a new starting battery, didn't help.
Thanks for any help!
John

May 09, 2017, 11:47:10 AM
Reply #1

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
Re: Motor not starting, not firing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
Have you checked the kill switch?

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

May 09, 2017, 04:07:08 PM
Reply #2

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
OMC will start and run without the lanyard/kill switch in place.

Start with the basics

Is it getting fuel? Fresh fuel?  Is the primer bulb firm?  Are you choking it? (push in key with key on for a few moments before cranking).  When was a fuel filter last replaced?  Is there water in the fuel?  How old are the spark plugs?  Use only the recommended plugs Champion QL78YC.  Check the spark using a spark tester to make sure you have even spark on all cylinders.  This is the best type to use https://youtu.be/pH9WpdmvW_Y or an individual tester is OK.

What is the history on the motor?  Do you know when the carbs were last cleaned and rebuilt?  If you have a dirty carb from sitting or from ethanol fuel you can have a lean cylinder (or more) that will quickly burn up your motor.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

August 31, 2017, 11:01:00 PM
Reply #3

JimInPB

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
I think that 97 was a year when OMC made both Cross Flows & Loopers.  I don't remember which one the Ocean Pro was.

The cross flow motors were very sensitive to RPM when it came to making a spark.  If you didn't spin at least 600RPM, you generally did not get the motor to fire.  I don't remember if the loopers were as sensitive or not. 

As the power packs on the cross flows got decrepit from age, the motors sometimes got more finicky about starting RPM & may have needed a little extra spin speed to start.  A 2-stroke that has been sitting for a while, has goo sitting inside it where the oil used to be.  After it runs for a few minutes, the goo gets replaced by fresh oil & the motor spins over a little easier.

You may need a new power pack or two.  You may need a new starter motor.  You may need a new starter solenoid.  You may need to clean some wiring connections. 

September 01, 2017, 09:42:01 AM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
My 96 200 Ocean Pro was loop charged (looper) and required a minimum 300 rpm to fire. The ignition system will not function below that speed. As stated above, it could be any of the problems listed but first I would check your present battery's connections and the cables themselves as well as the connections at the starter.

Have you relocated the battery(s) and if so allowed for the voltage drop by increasing the cable size?

Lastly, I had to replace the armature in my starter so having that  bench checked may not be a bad idea also.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal