You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Getting ideas for my upcoming work on 170  (Read 3227 times)

August 17, 2017, 09:12:41 PM
Reply #45

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Getting ideas for my upcoming work on 170
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
 mine sits just like any other 170 does. Supper balls help when two people are back there. I wouldn't want any more weight back there. Back when I was replacing my steering I thought about going with hydraulic but like Rick I would have had to move the motor back two inches so I decided to go with the NFB system.

Adding pods may help the flotation but since your adding running surface it may cause strange handing issues.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

August 20, 2017, 01:09:29 PM
Reply #46

JimInPB

• Information Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Since fairly complicated work, like the addition of pods, is being considered & since we are talking about other ideas for possible modifications, I’ll throw in an option that I am considering making to a 19’ project boat that is sitting in my yard right now. 

I’m thinking about making a bracket that has 2 live bait wells built into it on the sides, below the water line & also has a dry storage space in the center, between the wells, also below the water line.  The dry storage area would be buoyant and would help to offset the rear movement of the motor weight.  The bottom of the bracket would taper up from the existing hull bottom.  If you wanted to amplify the buoyant effect, you could make 2 dry storage areas & put a small live well in the center or get rid of the live well all together.  This modification would effectively turn the existing transom into a bulkhead & extend the total length of the boat a bit.   

The boat in my driveway has a very soft deck that will be ripped up 100%.  Since I need to get into it that far anyway, I’m thinking of also adding a long narrow fish box or two, below deck on the outside of the stringers.  This would be for things like Wahoo, big Mahi & King Mackerel that just don’t fit in the original fish box up front.

Calculating the new CG after adding a bracket or other modification, could be done using a torque equation.  For purposes of estimation, the original CG is usually around the place where the lines on the side of the boat make a Z shape.  You would need to do a boat lift to find the actual exact spot.

To do a torque equation, you start by knowing the distance from the bow to the CG & the total weight of the boat.  You multiply those numbers together & get a result.  You then measure from the bow of the boat to the place where the new weight will be added & multiply that distance by the amount of the new weight.  You then add that result to the original result & divide by the total weight of the original boat + the new weight, to get the new CG distance from the bow.  Since you would be removing the weight of the original motor from it’s original position, you would do a similar multiplication & sub tract the effect of the original motor in the original position before adding in the effect of the new motor in the new position.

Calculating the center of buoyancy requires comparing the CG to the center of displacement.  That adds 2 more similar steps to the calculations. 

This kind of modification involves a lot of work & at this point, I would consider looking for a larger boat as another viable option, but if you are looking for a project, this could be a serious one.

My little 17 has the factory installed bait wells on the transom.  One option that I have would be to seal up the holes in the live wells & turn them into additional flotation.  The things is, those bait wells work so well that I have become fond of them & I’m now more likely to copy them on a future boat rather than sacrifice them on this boat, as I originally thought I would.  The bait wells do make the boat slide a little in high speed turns on flat water.  That is my only real complaint with them. 

August 24, 2017, 09:17:46 PM
Reply #47

minionsram

• Information Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
Jim you have given me a few new ideas. I was thinking of doing a full pod all the way across at one time. I may just extend the boat off the rear of the transom. With my fabrication and machining background I belive I can lay it out and keep the lines the same. just would have to finish my shop for sure on that one. I may hold off on the pods or extension for now, finish my x17 bass boat and then move to this one, unless I can find a 22-2 or something around that size for cheap as I found this one.

August 25, 2017, 01:01:56 AM
Reply #48

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2017, 01:01:56 AM »

I’m thinking about making a bracket that has 2 live bait wells built into it on the sides, below the water line & also has a dry storage space in the center, between the wells, also below the water line.  The dry storage area would be buoyant and would help to offset the rear movement of the motor weight.  The bottom of the bracket would taper up from the existing hull bottom. 

The boat in my driveway has a very soft deck that will be ripped up 100%.  Since I need to get into it that far anyway, I’m thinking of also adding a long narrow fish box or two, below deck on the outside of the stringers.  This would be for things like Wahoo, big Mahi & King Mackerel that just don’t fit in the original fish box up front.

Compared with other 170 forum members, I've got one of the heaviest engines installed on a 170.  Yamaha '98 115hp (376lb dry).  I also have an above deck removable 13 gallon baitwell, located port stern.  When I've got a full tank of fuel and the baitwell full of bait and water, I usually never need to trim up the engine after planing.  This is because the stern is so heavy it raises the bow.  Any more than 3/4 throttle and I'm porpoising.  My point is, these classic 170's are very very very sensitive to weight in the rear.  If you do a search here for members 170's that have added a bracket, or a jackplate with 6" or more setback, you'll discover most if not all have porpoising issues.

I'm just spitballing here, so bear with me.  This is all in good fun.  If your talking about adding a bracket, which will weight X amount.  Adding 2 bait wells, which weigh X amount.  Along with setting the engine back X distance.  So not only are you adding weight to stern, but you're also setting the engine weight back.  The addition of flotation pods won't make a difference unless your talking about molding one seamless box onto the transom, from keel up to notch, beam to beam, and following the 12º dead rise, thereby making 17' more like 20'-22'.  Once you're up on plane, if these pods aren't a flush running surface extension of the boat, then the flotation they provide will be zero...because they'll be out of the water.  IMO, save yourself a ton of headache and possible heartbreak–if it doesn't work out–and get yourself a 22-2. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

August 25, 2017, 05:00:16 PM
Reply #49

minionsram

• Information Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:16 PM »

I’m thinking about making a bracket that has 2 live bait wells built into it on the sides, below the water line & also has a dry storage space in the center, between the wells, also below the water line.  The dry storage area would be buoyant and would help to offset the rear movement of the motor weight.  The bottom of the bracket would taper up from the existing hull bottom. 

Compared with other 170 forum members, I've got one of the heaviest engines installed on a 170.  Yamaha '98 115hp (376lb dry).  I also have an above deck removable 13 gallon baitwell, located port stern.  When I've got a full tank of fuel and the baitwell full of bait and water, I usually never need to trim up the engine after planing.  This is because the stern is so heavy it raises the bow.  Any more than 3/4 throttle and I'm porpoising.  My point is, these classic 170's are very very very sensitive to weight in the rear.  If you do a search here for members 170's that have added a bracket, or a jackplate with 6" or more setback, you'll discover most if not all have porpoising issues.

I'm just spitballing here, so bear with me.  This is all in good fun.  If your talking about adding a bracket, which will weight X amount.  Adding 2 bait wells, which weigh X amount.  Along with setting the engine back X distance.  So not only are you adding weight to stern, but you're also setting the engine weight back.  The addition of flotation pods won't make a difference unless your talking about molding one seamless box onto the transom, from keel up to notch, beam to beam, and following the 12º dead rise, thereby making 17' more like 20'-22'.  Once you're up on plane, if these pods aren't a flush running surface extension of the boat, then the flotation they provide will be zero...because they'll be out of the water.  IMO, save yourself a ton of headache and possible heartbreak–if it doesn't work out–and get yourself a 22-2.

I am thinking of adding to the back. Following the lines, keel and deadrise of the hull. If I could get my hands on a 22-2 that was not a basket case without engine for cheep I would have one sitting in my yard lol. I'm not talking of doing this right away but it is a plan.
I am just getting ideas and feedback for right now. I think I've read every build thread and question on these 170's lol

August 25, 2017, 08:31:59 PM
Reply #50

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »

I am thinking of adding to the back. Following the lines, keel and deadrise of the hull. If I could get my hands on a 22-2 that was not a basket case without engine for cheep I would have one sitting in my yard lol. I'm not talking of doing this right away but it is a plan.
I am just getting ideas and feedback for right now. I think I've read every build thread and question on these 170's lol

Get after it man.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just think it's a ton of labor for an addition that may or may not work out as you intend.  But speaking of adding to the back, a '68 170 recently listed on craigslist with transom modification's I've yet to see.  Completely rebuilt boat, beautiful.  Its transom is enclosed, bracket with 90hp Johnson, trim tabs, 30 gal livewell aft of console.  I became so curious to learn how the hull performed with the enclosure and a big livewell that I emailed the seller.  He was kind enough to reply, says it handles great, trim tabs really playing a large role with keeping bow from porpoising.  Here's a few pics and the CL link if you want to see more. 

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/aquasport-17-custom-fishing/6278050280.html

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

August 26, 2017, 12:57:09 AM
Reply #51

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
If I could get my hands on a 22-2 that was not a basket case without engine for cheep I would have one sitting in my yard lol.

Dunno what is cheap for you, but this 22-2 has been for sale in my area for months.  Stopped at the dealer lot and took a lot.  Beautiful.  Just needs an engine/controls.
https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L51183807

This one's in NC, but worth the distance.  It's underpowered but hull looks in great shape.  Rock bottom price.
https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L50206416
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

September 04, 2017, 04:36:08 PM
Reply #52

minionsram

• Information Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
Well been cussing at the motor again lol. I can not leave things well enough alone. I had the issues with idle not being just perfect so I got a manual and went step by step on a link and sync. Timed the motor using the Joe Reeves method, made a homemade open air spark tester to fire on all four cyl. Got the idle and running perfect. Fished with a friend a few weeks ago and ran into some mud flats on the river. So when I got home i flushed and flushed the motor to be sure nothing was left in. So last week me and the wife went fishing. Running up the river at WOT pushing 5100-5200 RPM and the high temp alarm goes off, Cut speed let idle and in about 2 seconds it went off. I tied up to a tree branch, pulled the cover and felt the heads. Didnt feel hot. Cranked up let idle and never got too hot to touch. So I ran the motorat various RPm's. here is the issue. At WOT high heat alarm instantly. can run all day at 4000 rpm with no issues. So I said the hell with it and ordered a set of head gaskets, thermostats, poppet valves, springs, water diverters and an impeller. Put all that on the motor.

I idled the motor in the driveway with the muffs on it to get some heat in the heads and re-torqued. Me and the wife went back down to the river and ran the motor, same results.

So today I pulled compression readings and got these readings. 1-117  2-111 3-120 and 4-103. When i had the heads off I sanded and retrued the block and heads, cleaned everything, inspected for cracks etc. I figured I would test the motor with the thermostats bypassed and when I did I noticed some bubbles coming out the test hose. Pulled the plugs on that head and yep water on the plug. its on #4 plug too. the one with the lowest compression. So I pulled the head again to check everything and put another gasket on, this time with the copper head gasket spray, and rtv high temp on the bolt heads.

I ran the motor and still have water on the #4 and bubbles in the bypass hose. Havent ran it at the river to see if i get high temps at wide open throttle.

So all this was because I wanted to boat to run perfectly on our opening day of shrimping season. Its going to be the grandsons first season and if it be me having to bolt this motor up and go ruin it shrimping the one day for him to be there ill do it in a heart beat, but if I can figure out what is wrong with it before then, ill fix it.

What a day right lol

September 06, 2017, 02:59:09 PM
Reply #53

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »
My end state is freeing up the space for fishing and having everything have its place.

I understand the premise of using the foam filled pods to offset the addition of a bracket or jackplate.  In theory it could work.  But only by using some mathematical rocket science equation, using the additional length and weight of the pods, along with how much flotation you get by using X amount of foam.....you see where I'm going.   You'd have to start with knowing where the hull COG is located.  This in itself will be incredibly difficult.  Then you'd have to know the change in COG distance aft the addition of the bracket/jackplate has caused.  Then you'd have to know how much foam added to the pods gives X amount of floatation, which in turn will offset the COG X amount forward.

Personally I'd stay away from installing a bracket on a 170.  Primarily because, why?  You'd have trouble finding a transom mounted bracket 6" or less anyway.  But why install one?  Jack plate, yeah this would be a helpful addition if you're one who consistently runs through shallow water.  Otherwise, at moderate speed and appropriate trim your boat will run through 1 foot of water.  Believe me, I've done it. 

And I'm not trying to be the buzz kill here with your idea of adding pods, this is just my opinion.  Believe me, I'd love to see you do it because I'd love to learn the outcome lol.  But I think you're setting yourself up for a lot of labor and expense for what will most likely not work out as you intend.  So you gotta ask yourself, what's the reason I want to add pods and a bracket/jackplate?  From reading your words I've quoted above, you just want to free up space aft of the console.  Well what do you currently have back there that is taking up space?   Cause you're considering adding weight on the transom to a boat that already sits ass heavy, just to free up space aft of console, with either a bracket or jackplate.  Then add flotation pods to offset the aft weight.  Boy o boy. 

I've added a few pics of my 170.  You can see with the 1st pic there is nothing aft of console that could interfere with whatever.  The 2nd picture is the leaning post I added (note where it's secured to deck, in relation to how forward from transom, using fuel panel as guide).  The 3rd picture is the removable 13 gallon baitwell that I keep in the boat most of the year.  Even when it's in the boat I still have plenty of room to move about behind leaning post.  If you don't have as much room as I've described having in on my boat, it's possible your console is secured to deck too far aft. 

What's the setup of the 13 gallon removable livewell?  Does it use the single thru hull pickup, or did you have to add an additional?  I'm thinking one of these might fit really nicely on my 175 just fore of the engine, and I have a raw water washdown hose and thru hull that never get used.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

September 07, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
Reply #54

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »

What's the setup of the 13 gallon removable livewell?  Does it use the single thru hull pickup, or did you have to add an additional?  I'm thinking one of these might fit really nicely on my 175 just fore of the engine, and I have a raw water washdown hose and thru hull that never get used.

No thru hull anything.  I have a transom mounted (permanent) livewell pump bracket.  The pump outlet I permanently secured tubing, while the other end of tubing is free to come on and off of livewell inlet.  When I want to use the livewell, I slide the pump into its bracket and attach the hose to the livewell inlet.  The black corrugated tubing you see in the picture is the livewell outlet over the transom.  I cut in pos/neg pigtail connectors so when I want to completely remove the livewell setup I just unplug these pigtails.  I stick the pump/tubing into the empty livewell and remove from boat. 

To secure the livewell to the deck will depend on if your livewell already has threaded holes in the livewell to accept tie downs.  Hopefully you have one that does because you can't drill into these poly tanks.  They don't hold a screw and don't interact with adhesives (not even 5200).  Luckily my livewell had 2 SS threaded holes.  One near the bottom and one near the top.  I used a combination of 2 wood threaded eye screws screwed into the deck, 1 small SS clip, and 1 SS turnbuckle, and 2 blunt SS eye screws that thread into the livewell.  The SS clip secures 1 livewell eye to the deck eye.  The turnbuckle hooks in the other deck eye.

The pump I use is 500gph Rule Transom Mount like this:
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Livewell_Pumps-Rule_Transom_Mount_Aerator_Pumps.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6sXyor-U1gIV01mGCh1x8gTHEAQYAyABEgJLQvD_BwE

Turnbuckle like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-5-16-18-in-x-8-7-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Hook-and-Hook-Turnbuckle-5-Pack-321922/203810235

Screw eye like this:
http://www.midlandhardware.com/809632.html?dfw_tracker=14396-809632&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqCx8cKU1gIVUVuGCh2HbAYcEAQYAiABEgIqnPD_BwE

Let me know if you need more details.  Pretty simple setup that works well for the fishing I do. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal