Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Thru hull bait well pump  (Read 568 times)

January 27, 2017, 12:57:56 PM
Read 568 times

Spencedog

• Information Offline
Thru hull bait well pump
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Has anyone tried this on their 17 ? I was thinking about just doing a thru hull fitting for my live well pump instead of just mounting it to the back of the boat . Just curious to see how others have set up their live wells on the 17.

January 27, 2017, 04:34:34 PM
Reply #1

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Re: Thru hull bait well pump
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »
A thru hull design would be optimal, allowing you to have options of where to locate the baitwell.  However, if you choose this route you would also want a bilge pump installed, for obvious reasons.  When I bought my 17 I already had a spare baitwell tank (Aquaworld), 13 gal.  If you look closely at the pic you can see 1 of the 2 hardware used to secure well to deck.  I took some corrugated tubing and extended it over the transom for the outlet.  Transom mounted removable bait pump.  Works great.

Personally I think you should stay away from those transom mounted bait well boxes.  The 17 sits rear end heavy as it is, and depending on the size/weight of your engine, the last thing you want is more weight further aft than the transom.  Just my opinion though. 

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

September 27, 2017, 09:45:51 PM
Reply #2

matt1978E37

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
A thru hull design would be optimal, allowing you to have options of where to locate the baitwell.  However, if you choose this route you would also want a bilge pump installed, for obvious reasons.  When I bought my 17 I already had a spare baitwell tank (Aquaworld), 13 gal.  If you look closely at the pic you can see 1 of the 2 hardware used to secure well to deck.  I took some corrugated tubing and extended it over the transom for the outlet.  Transom mounted removable bait pump.  Works great.

Personally I think you should stay away from those transom mounted bait well boxes.  The 17 sits rear end heavy as it is, and depending on the size/weight of your engine, the last thing you want is more weight further aft than the transom.  Just my opinion though. 

So im doing a rebuild of a 17 and have the foor out.  what is the benifit of raising the floor and or adding a few inches to the top of the transom??

September 27, 2017, 11:29:45 PM
Reply #3

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:45 PM »
So im doing a rebuild of a 17 and have the foor out.  what is the benifit of raising the floor and or adding a few inches to the top of the transom??

Start a new thread in the rebuilding topics, asking this ^^^ question.  You'll get more responses verses tacking your question into this thread.  Personally, I haven't needed to restore my 17.  If or when I do, I would raise the deck primarily to rid of the starboard access tray.  That whole setup bothers the bejesus out of me.  Adding inches to transom....the only benefit I know of is the ability to use a 25" shaft engine.
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

September 28, 2017, 11:24:35 AM
Reply #4

JimInPB

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I'm not a big fan of adding extra holes in the hull.  I would mount a pump outside the transom before I would mount a thru-hull, but that is just me.

I have the passive live wells from the factory on the back of my 17.  They work well.  They don't need a pump.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal