You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1981 Aquasport 170 rebuild in Sweden  (Read 31193 times)

October 22, 2014, 03:12:16 PM
Reply #30

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: 1981 Aquasport 170 rebuild in Sweden
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
Quote from: "larsli68"
I thought it was an internal joke here on this site.

Lars, a lot of stuff posted here is an inside joke. Problem often arises when some members don't get it. :mrgreen:

Still that stated, here is a good place to start.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/Switches

I think you'll find that these are a good quality switch but are not the only thing out there. Look through the different types and decide what type works for your needs and budget. I think you'll also find these come with good recommendations from those who use them.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 23, 2014, 07:32:13 AM
Reply #31

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
Quote from: "dburr"
SeaBob to the Bat Phone please!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the idea with the chisel! My brother has a tig welder and lives next door. He helped me weld the chisel to a piece of angle iron. It worked like a charm!
I'm finally at the point were I feel I can do it!

Pictures of my tools and the progress on Saturday.

I never got the bat phone thing. Sorry.

Most excellent on the chisel extension! Rick and Lewis have both said that an air chisel is the way to go, and I was trying to work out how a wood chisel could be modded with an extension for the air driver to get all the way to the bilge.. The problem I came up with was the end that went in the driver needs to be really hard so it would not mushroom :scratch: . The air chisels are cheap at Harbor freight but the tools get pricey quick! The option I came up with was welding one of the cheapest tools (they have wicked hard steel) to the extension so the male end was able to go in the air driver. But you have it all goin on!  :salut:  :cheers:

We are mostly of the same vintage here, (sort of) and we all spent time as kids sittin in front of the TV at some point with our mouths hangin open watching Batman and Robin.  If you have not seen vintage Batman, this will be your first ever CAS homework assignment assigned by one of the Brethren.. Get yourself one of your favorite cool and delicious cocktails, jump onto HULU, YouTube or what have you and watch an episode or two of the 1960's era Batman TV show.. All will become clear.

My apologies for forgetting that you have not been saturated with American Pop culture. We use all kinds of slang, innuendo (sp?) and references to stuff that may not be obvious. PLEASE do not take offense or think anyone is being a dink, just ask and someone will gladly fill in the back story.. The thread might hang a left for a while but all good threads do!! If we get to rambunctious Rick will square us away....:thumright:  :thumleft:  

Great work so far!
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

October 23, 2014, 08:55:46 AM
Reply #32

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »
I have a question again... I need to buy new switches for the center console. I have access to eBay and I can off course go to West Marine in Raleigh in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of good quality switches that are water proof and long lasting? I will be keeping my boat in the water for at least 6 months/year. I will have a cover over the center console, but I would like the switches to be bullet proof.
I think 6-8 switches would do the job. Thanks for any advice.
What do you currently have now for a switch panel?  What kind of switches do you have now?  Pics would help us.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 23, 2014, 01:43:22 PM
Reply #33

larsli68

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »

Went at it again tonight. The wood on the port side is not as wet and a lot harder to remove, but I picked away at it and it is getting there. I'm also posting some pictures of my special tools. Long chisel, extended drill bit and extended shop vac hose.

October 23, 2014, 09:56:14 PM
Reply #34

Aquasport Commodore

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »
Looks good Lars, keep at it, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not freight train.

October 23, 2014, 11:22:11 PM
Reply #35

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
Lars, you are getting a nice clean job. Keep taking your time.

Good work :salut:

October 24, 2014, 12:15:48 AM
Reply #36

larsli68

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:48 AM »
Thanks guys!
I got some great news this morning. Since I'm probably the first Seacast customer in Europe, I'm getting two kits for free, paying only shipping.
I will write an article for the Danish company who sells it, photo document how I'm doing it, and video tape when we actually pour the product.
He also wants pictures of the special tools I have created for the job, so that he can produce and sell those.
I have to admit, I'm quite excited!

Thanks for your kind words. It's still a ways off, but it's getting there.

//Lars

October 24, 2014, 01:48:56 AM
Reply #37

larsli68

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
I have a question again... I need to buy new switches for the center console. I have access to eBay and I can off course go to West Marine in Raleigh in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of good quality switches that are water proof and long lasting? I will be keeping my boat in the water for at least 6 months/year. I will have a cover over the center console, but I would like the switches to be bullet proof.
I think 6-8 switches would do the job. Thanks for any advice.
What do you currently have now for a switch panel?  What kind of switches do you have now?  Pics would help us.

Hello Rick,

The old switch panel was badly corroded and I threw it away.
I have been looking at the suggested panels. I can buy them here in Sweden, and they say IP67 which is waterproof to one meter (three feet).
I think I will go with 6 switches. I'm restoring the center console. I will remove all the wood from the back and also fix some cut outs and screw holes, polish it before re-assemble.
There is also a crack at the base. I'm thinking of replacing the plywood with fiber glass. Adds a little weight, but makes for a trouble free future. I hope to have this boat for many years.
I really love my boat.
//Lars

October 24, 2014, 05:25:02 AM
Reply #38

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 05:25:02 AM »
Thanks guys!
I got some great news this morning. Since I'm probably the first Seacast customer in Europe, I'm getting two kits for free, paying only shipping.
I will write an article for the Danish company who sells it, photo document how I'm doing it, and video tape when we actually pour the product.
He also wants pictures of the special tools I have created for the job, so that he can produce and sell those.
I have to admit, I'm quite excited!//Lars

Now that is cool!!!!! :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

October 24, 2014, 05:37:58 AM
Reply #39

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:58 AM »
Thanks guys!
I have to admit, I'm quite excited!

Thanks for your kind words. It's still a ways off, but it's getting there.

//Lars
You can't beat that deal.  :cheers:
Rick

October 24, 2014, 06:03:11 AM
Reply #40

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »
Hello Rick,

I have been looking at the suggested panels. I can buy them here in Sweden, and they say IP67 which is waterproof to one meter (three feet).
I think I will go with 6 switches.
I bought a 6 switch model also.  I can't find the order to show you the product.  I have the product out in the pile of things to install on the console and boat.  :roll:
I'm restoring the center console. I will remove all the wood from the back and also fix some cut outs and screw holes, polish it before re-assemble.
If you have an air chisel you can peel that wood off the fiberglass very easily.  I did the same with my console and then I decided to go wild and redesign mine.

There is also a crack at the base. I'm thinking of replacing the plywood with fiber glass. Adds a little weight, but makes for a trouble free future. I hope to have this boat for many years.
I really love my boat.
//Lars
Are you talking about the wood that is usually under the console between the console and the sole?  Maybe you could make it out of starboard?
I would overdrill and fill the holes that the console was screwed down to the sole - that's a great place for rot to start and until you redo the sole, it'll help prolong the need.  Over drill the holes with a bigger drill size and then fill the holes with thickened resin (epoxy is the best - poly seems to shrink in the holes) - then redrill the holes for the console.
Rick

October 24, 2014, 08:30:55 AM
Reply #41

larsli68

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »
Hello Rick,

I bought a 6 switch model also.  I can't find the order to show you the product.  I have the product out in the pile of things to install on the console and boat.  :roll:
I'm restoring the center console. I will remove all the wood from the back and also fix some cut outs and screw holes, polish it before re-assemble.
If you have an air chisel you can peel that wood off the fiberglass very easily.  I did the same with my console and then I decided to go wild and redesign mine.

I really love my boat.
//Lars
Are you talking about the wood that is usually under the console between the console and the sole?  Maybe you could make it out of starboard?
I would overdrill and fill the holes that the console was screwed down to the sole - that's a great place for rot to start and until you redo the sole, it'll help prolong the need.  Over drill the holes with a bigger drill size and then fill the holes with thickened resin (epoxy is the best - poly seems to shrink in the holes) - then redrill the holes for the console.

Thanks again Rick,

I will drill the holes and check for moisture. If the wood in the floor is wet, I plan to cut it out and replace it while I'm at it.
If it is dry I will follow your advice. When I cut the wood floor, can I leave the coffin and the recessed area (steering hoses, fuel line etc) and just replace the floor around it?

I don't think there is wood in the coffin, is there?

Thanks guys! You are great help, and it feels great to have found you. This weekend I will post some pictures from my home town of Nyköping and the archipelago.

I'm super excited about getting my paws on some Seacast. I will only have to pay for shipping (100 bucks) from Denmark.

October 24, 2014, 12:28:16 PM
Reply #42

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
Lars that was a stroke of damn GENIUOS using angle iron, WAY less prone to bend and with that lengh you can put some force on it..

If you need something wider, an old  truck spring, with a little work makes for a good chisel.. The weight of the bigger blade makes all the difference. Just be SURE not to drop it on your foot!
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

October 24, 2014, 12:42:27 PM
Reply #43

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Hello Rick,

I really love my boat.
//Lars

Thanks again Rick,

I will drill the holes and check for moisture. If the wood in the floor is wet, I plan to cut it out and replace it while I'm at it.
If it is dry I will follow your advice. When I cut the wood floor, can I leave the coffin and the recessed area (steering hoses, fuel line etc) and just replace the floor around it?

I don't think there is wood in the coffin, is there?

Thanks guys! You are great help, and it feels great to have found you. This weekend I will post some pictures from my home town of Nyköping and the archipelago.

I'm super excited about getting my paws on some Seacast. I will only have to pay for shipping (100 bucks) from Denmark.

Lars, re ordering the switches, if you want we can get whatever you want here, and get them to you when you get to Raleigh. Throw them in your suitcase on the return trip you'd be good to go :salut:

October 24, 2014, 12:57:48 PM
Reply #44

larsli68

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
Tomorrow Saturday I will go to a local fiberglass company. I went by there today after work, but he was busy working on a huge fiberglass hood. 10 feet tall and probably 6-7 feet diameter.
I'm hoping he can help me do prefab floor sheets in Vinylester with a divinycell core. He thinks it's cool I do projects, and usually gives me a really good price.

Resting my arm tonight.
Since I'm from the old world, I'm posting some pictures from the archipelago just off the coast of my home town. I know it's not restoration pics, but I hope it's OK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal