Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trailers

Loading my 245 osprey on float-on trailer

(1/2) > >>

Sodcutter:
Guys and girls, looking for some advice if anyone has ever run across this before. Little background first. Just purchased this 245 osprey with twin 150 evinrudes back in October last year. Been doing some cosmetic work and still planning to re gelcoat sometime soon. Have made a few trips so far this summer just getting the feel for the boat and am having some difficulty loading. been doing this all my life but this is my first experience with a float-on trailer. My problem is I am having a time getting it to stay on the bow roller. This last trip, I loaded and pulled right up to within a foot of the roller, hooked up and winched all the way to where the bow eye was right to the bottom of the roller tight like it should be. When I pulled out, it is no longer against the roller but roughly 2 inches away. No matter how far in the water I put trailer or how shallow, it always does the same thing and therefore end up with the bow bouncing all the way home. Anyone ever run into this problem before?

RickK:
Welcome SC :salut2:
I have the same problem - I have a strap and it tightens up on the winch leaving it back a couple inches.  One idea is to have a keeper chain that is hooked around the winch post and you can hook into the eye so it can't slide back. Problem will be that you have to back the trailer in a little more than normal to release the pressure on the chain so you can unhook it.  I have this on mine.

Capt. Bob:
Common problem with some hulls.
My CCP did this all the time.
My 210 WAC, not much.

Work around is not hard, especially with a two person crew.

Load up just like you described above. Now pull forward a few feet and crank up the slack. You may find that you need to do this several times on certain occasions. Less on others. Somewhat of a PITA but a solution that requires no additional work on the trailer (my opinion on why this happens). Did this for 14 years without mishap on my CCP so.....

Next time out give it a try and see if this is acceptable to you. It will definitely get and keep the bow on the roller.

Good luck. 

Thunderyacht:

--- Quote from: Capt. Bob on August 24, 2015, 07:56:40 PM ---Common problem with some hulls.
My CCP did this all the time.
My 210 WAC, not much.

Work around is not hard, especially with a two person crew.

Load up just like you described above. Now pull forward a few feet and crank up the slack. You may find that you need to do this several times on certain occasions. Less on others. Somewhat of a PITA but a solution that requires no additional work on the trailer (my opinion on why this happens). Did this for 14 years without mishap on my CCP so.....

Next time out give it a try and see if this is acceptable to you. It will definitely get and keep the bow on the roller.

Good luck.

--- End quote ---
Yep as Bob has suggested. Get it to the first point and then pull the trailer ahead and crank again.  The issue is caused by the stern floating so the stern is up, once you pull ahead it drops the stern down. I have basically the same boat, a 250 Osprey with the twin Evinrude 150s. I launch and recover my boat alone most of the time. I bought some spray silicone and after the bunks are dry after a day on the water I spray the bunks with silicone heavily, let it dry and wallah a slick surface. I don't have to back in as far and the boat slides right up. Don't unhook your strap prior to backing down the ramp if you use the silicone treatment, I've had mine start sliding before I was ready!

RickK:
Try the chain. It works well, nothing is going to slide back with that baby attached.  Just need enough room in the eye.  If you use a single strap it should be no problem. I use a doubled tow strap for my strap (HF) and with 2 hooks that doesn't leave much room for much else. (I fold the strap in half around the bolt in the winch and it leaves both hook ends to attach to the boat)
Reason I went to a doubled tow strap was my single strap broke trying to get that last few inches and the boat took off and started to head across the canal - I somehow was able to grab the railing and pull myself up onto the front of the boat (terror strength?) and I started the boat before it crashed.
No more single strap for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version