You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Why no fuses???  (Read 490 times)

December 31, 2014, 09:36:17 AM
Read 490 times

Aquamaniac

• Information Offline
Why no fuses???
« on: December 31, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
Been sorting out the wiring on my 1990 200 Striper. The good news is that I have pretty much everything working....including manual bilge pump, auto bilge pump, Nav/anchor lites, baitwell pump, cockpit lites, (although no panel lites), horn, VHF, and Garmin.
However......in looking inside the console, I am not sure why I see places for fuses on the positive block, but NO fuses.

I should point out there are fuses in the switch panel.....which is the original Aquasport black panel with the cool boat diagram with little red indicator lights (that don't work :( )

Course the switch panel has so many add on terminals, it is hard to know what goes where. :shock:

BTW.....any idea what those 3 red components are in the last pic?

Any thoughts on these issues would be appreciated! Thanks.

December 31, 2014, 10:01:28 AM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Why no fuses???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
Tom,
Looking at that fuse panel, I see the positive bus to the right side of the panel that feeds the fuse holders, and a ground bus to the left side of the panel.  The functions that the switch panel controls ar all protected by the fuses adjacent to the switches...so you're fine there.  That leaves the fuse panel as an ACC panel, for wiring in stereos, VHFs, FFs, etc.  I also see nothing terminated to the left side of the fuse holders (the "load" side)...which means that fuse panel is powering nothing.  That's evident by no fuses being in the holders.

In the last pic, I assume you are talking about those red-bulb looking thingies.  That to me looks like the POs attempt at red back-lighting, they certainly look like red light bulbs to me.  If you check my post here...http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/vie ... f=7&t=1339, I addressed the indicator light situation on your switch panel...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 31, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
Reply #2

Aquamaniac

• Information Offline
Re: Why no fuses???
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
Thanks, Bob!
I knew there were fuses on the switch panel....although concerned there seemed to be so many 'added' terminals to each switch. Guess I was thinking in terms of excessive draw for the 'stock' fuse.
What really threw me was no fuses on the block inside the console...so I appreciate you clearing that up. I will have to change how I wired in the horn and use the fuse block (since I cheated and tied it in to one of those many panel terminals  :oops: ).
My fancy new Garmin EchoMap will have to get wired into the block as well....although it has its own inline fuse. Hmmmm......
I'll check out RadioShack for the indicators as you suggested. It would do my heart good to see those cute little red indicators working  :D  Need to get my instrument panel lights and compass light working yet as well.
Those big red bulb thingies are strange. Had a coating on them that made them seem like some kind of component rather than a lite. But in looking at them more and their positions....I believe you are right on the money. Will try to extract one and check it out.

Sure appreciate the help!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal