You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Just bought an 86 290 TM with some issues  (Read 717 times)

November 22, 2019, 05:40:52 PM
Read 717 times

caoin

• Information Offline
Just bought an 86 290 TM with some issues
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
Hi Everyone... 
I have just purchased a very nice "looking" 86 290 TM.  Spotless newer Crusaders with minimal hours, every piece of paper including build sheets and owners manuals for each component of the boat right down to the Morse controls and wire colors for bridge.  Its pretty amazing.  Hull looks good, some spidering topside, deck is good, interior is almost showroom and no windlass to soften forward topside.  Everything is pretty much factory from what I see.  Someone loved this boat.  I will get some pics next time I get up to the boat yard.
Now to the bad, the port side drivetrain has been damaged.  The port prop shaft strut is bent over further to port about 2.5-3 inches and the drive will not hold fluid.  There is not a mark anywhere.  Almost like a haulout/trailering accident.  I have separated the shaft coupling and the output shaft coupling spins freely by hand in any gear while grinding.  I am hoping to separate the reduction gear from the drive, pull the shaft and address the 3 issues: Shaft, Strut, Reduction gear.  I will probably have to separate the exhaust for a better work area.  A couple questions...  Can I heat and bend the strut back to a laser line thru to the output shaft?  Seems simple enough, there is the exact same boat on stilts next to mine so I can use it as a model.  I understand it needs to perfect and that's how I would do it (if possible, thinking its worth a shot unless told otherwise).  I do barely have access to the 6 strut bolts 1/3 of the way under a gas tank if replacement is an option.  Anyone have a port side strut laying around?  Next, can I separate the reduction gear from the drive in place?  Is it possible (hopeful) the damage is only in the reduction gear?  And again, Does anyone have one laying around (the number 72 comes to mind when I think of the velvet drive and I will get the specs)?  Lastly, I can probably get the shaft straightened if no one has one...  I think you guys get the point of what I am up against.  I am not a rich individual but handy and would like to get the family out on the water next season.  (on this boat).  Any suggestions on approach, parts, etc is greatly appreciated.

November 30, 2019, 05:03:16 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: Just bought an 86 290 TM with some issues
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »
Most bronze or brass struts can be heated and straightened.  Don't do it on the boat unless you like burnt fiberglass.  A good shop can also fix your propshaft - they often don't heat it - they put it on a granite plate and use hammers to get it right - kinda cool to watch... 

You did not say where the leak was and whether it is tranny fluid or engine oil.  The oil leak COULD just be a damaged seal which is easy to fix. 

Keep in mind there is a bit of variance a play you can make up for with the engine mounts and strut location.  Even a little bit on the coupling.  With a straight shaft, you can be off-center or out a bit and she will still run smoothly.   

Hope this helps - i've been through this will a couple cruisers and it's not usually as bad as it seems.  Unless you have to buy new, custom nibral propellers.    Even then, eBay can be your friend.  I found a perfect match for one of the props on my old Chris-Craft for $100 on eBay - deal! 
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 07, 2019, 04:41:23 PM
Reply #2

caoin

• Information Offline
Re: Just bought an 86 290 TM with some issues
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
Thank you for the reply...  It is tranny fluid and flows right out where the output shaft seal would be when added.  I am hoping the damage is only within the reduction gear if that's even possible.  Next trip up I plan to separate the exhaust and make a workable area so I can loosen up the shaft log and get the shaft slid back.  Not a mark on the prop so I have that going for me.  I have all the manuals for the boat and am hoping to read that I can separate the reduction gear from trans while still in the boat.  She's a beautiful boat aside from this damage. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal