Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New Member with a couple of questions re 215 Explorer  (Read 1100 times)

August 23, 2011, 09:15:13 AM
Read 1100 times

kemo sabe

• Information Offline
New Member with a couple of questions re 215 Explorer
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Hi - I run a 2004 215 explorer out of Gloucester MA and have enjoyed this rig since launched as a left over buy in 2005. She runs pretty well with a fuel injected 150 Evinrude and I am thinking about trying to do some modifications and asking for any advice members can pass along.
Fuel Fill problem - My hull has a fuel fill way back on the starboard stern with the vent line also connected to the fill assembly. The fill and vent lines run along a stringer back from the tank and then turn out and up thru the battery compartment up to the fill assembly in the gunnel. The long run of the vent line causes fuel to get trapped in it and makes fueling up a long hassle. In addition, the opening for the vent line air inside the fill assembly is not much more than 1/4 to 5/16ths and reduces the amount of air coming up from the 5/8 vent line.
I am considering hiring a fiberglass guy to move the fill up near mid ship and reroute and shorted the fill and vent hoses. This will likely also involve drilling passage thru a stringer to reach the gunnel.
Anyone have a similar problem and/or a better way to fix.
Adding hardtop or arch - I would rather have a hardtop than the big canvas with rod holders etc. I am wondering how much weight could be added above the gunnels without messing up the center of gravity and handling. I fish a good ways offshore on nice days and really like the way the hull drifts and runs and don't want to make it top heavy.
Any info greatly appreciated.
sarge, kemo -sabe

August 23, 2011, 11:00:16 AM
Reply #1

pete

• Information Offline
Re: New Member with a couple of questions re 215 Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
Welcome kemo sabe,Here is a diagram of the 215 explorer...

looks like the fuel tank is pretty close to the fuel fill,I dont think moving the fill would help,check to see if there any kinks or places where the lines are pinched and correct.
as far as a hardtop goes the only thing you may notice when you get one is a lighter feeling to your wallet and the loss of maybe a couple of MPHs.I like my hardtop,rod storage and not to have to deal with the bimini straps and the rattling,hiyo silver! :cheers:  :cheers:  :batman: who was that masked man?

ok fixed it,fill and tank in same place as the osprey
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

August 23, 2011, 01:54:30 PM
Reply #2

kemo sabe

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »
Hi Pete - Thanks for your reply but all of the schematics that you posted are for Osprey not for Explorer.

I can assure you that my fuel fill is in the starboard stern gunnel........actually it's within a foot of the transom !

sarge

August 23, 2011, 03:10:42 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
Kemo,
BTW, welcome aboard!  You're correct in you assessment, but there is probably an easier way.  Remove the "combination" vent/fill, and install a separate vent in the hullside just below the rubrail.  Get a nice stainless one (you can even leave the old deck fill if you want).  I would imagine the access is easier than the fix you described.

You also want to do your best to ensure the vent hose has no "belly" in it, i.e. a downhill portion before it runs uphill again...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 23, 2011, 10:16:43 PM
Reply #4

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
ok fixed it the 215 osprey and explorer have the fill and tank in the same place,only difference is the cap.Seabobs solution is the best!good luck :cheers:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

August 24, 2011, 09:00:33 PM
Reply #5

kemo sabe

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
Thanks Seabob4 and Pete !

Moving only the vent line may be a lot easier that both. I am a little concerned about water entry but remember that your suggestion is the same as how this was done for years.

I expected that a lot of other Explorer owners would have had this problem but maybe production did not use my system for too many hulls..........given the problem it creates.

I was hoping that there might have been a fill assembly that would somehow allow more air out but that still would not solve the long downhill run of the vent hose.

thanks again !

sarge

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal