You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: She's finally home!! Rickk's 230  (Read 63996 times)

November 23, 2006, 07:15:47 AM
Read 63996 times

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
She's finally home!! Rickk's 230
« on: November 23, 2006, 07:15:47 AM »
It's been a long 2 weeks since I purchased the 230 Explorer and 2 days ago I visited the Aquasport.com site to browse around.  I saw that they only had info going back to '93 and decided that I would email them and ask for info.
I sent them a nice email and explained that I now own 2 older Aquasports - the latest being a recent purchase of the 230 Explorer.  I gave them the HIN and asked what years the model was made, how many (if they knew) were made, and any other info they could tell me.
Yesterday I received an email from a fella named Tom and what he sent made me almost fall out of my chair!!!

This model was made from 1991 to 1993. We made about 264 of them.

Boat serial#. ..... ..  Engine serial#     
AQA N0683 D292     701156                               

Year....:    1992         Model:  AQUASPORT 230 EXPLORER (WALKAROUND)       

Uphols..  Carpet..  Shear...  Side....  Bottom..  Deck....  Liner...  Floor..
NAVY-TAP  GLACIER   GLACIER   GLACIER   GLACIER   GLACIER

Qty. Description.............................
    1  SGL 250 YAMAHA O/B  (SEE OPTIONS)         
       ENGINE IS 1991                                                   
    1  HYD STEERING - CENTER MT SINGLE CYLINDER   
    1  ENGINE UPCHARGE - SGL 250 YAMAHA O/B       
    1  1991 ENGINES                             

The data he sent IS MY BOAT!!!  And I found out everything is still factory (including the cushions in the cabin) to include the motor (see the ser# above), which only has 379 hours.
He also sent me the Specs and features in a word doc - which I'll post after I convert them to pdf. (I did download a specsheet which you'll see in a sec but it is for a '93 - very close anyway)
Anyway - I don't know how far back they keep the data but it's worth an email to them.

To continue, I got the call from Ray that the parts were in and I could pick her up yesterday - FINALLY  :D :D :D I told him I wanted to give her one more sea trail to make sure all is well before we finish this up and I invited John (our JJ) to go along.  This was going to be a REAL sea trial because the river we test in runs W-E and the wind was out of the west about 20+.  Not a day you would normally want to be out in.
I picked JJ up, we had a quick lunch and were off to the dealer.  They had the boat all ready to go and we piled into their truck and off we went.
We launched and I looked out into the river and it was solid 2-3ft whitecaps.  I would have turned around and gone home if I was in my 170 (actually I would never had considered going out in the first place - momma didn't raise no fool!!).
Anyway, we had 4 people in the boat (2 mechanics, me and JJ) and off we went.  We started turning toward the west and we got our first face full from a quartering sea.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: Once we were heading into the waves I kicked her up on plane and that was the last time we felt anything - she rides like a cadillac - never felt those 3 footers at all - cruised 35mph into them like they weren't there.  JJ was sitting on a step behind the helm and, I think, rode that way the couple miles we headed into the wind.  We were tweeking the tabs and the trim and then we got to the spot where we had the problem with the oiler the last time and she was still running fine.  The mechanic told me that they replaced the main computer in her and now she's fine and hopefully will be for a long time.  Anyway, I turned her around at that point and then I saw JJ standing behind me.  I asked him what he thought and he said something about not feeling a thing and said that his "butt never left the step, which made me happy". 
DONE DEAL - TIME TO TAKE HER HOME.
Since our photo gallery is broken I'll have to use Photobucket - hope it works ok.

I have some work to do to get her sitting on the trailer right.  My hitch, I have a "speed hitch" which sits 4-5 inches lower than normal, caused alot of the weight to be on her front wheels - Dave caught this when I got to his house to "show her off".  The hitch works well for the 170 but not her. Anyway, he gave me a 6" rise hitch, which I'll try Friday and then we'll take her down to his "club" again and get her sitting on the trailer right.

She needs to be buffed out now and I have a canvas guy coming over TODAY (Thanksgiving Day - he said he's single so it's just another day to him) to give me a quote to "deck her out".
Here are the siblings - quite a difference huh:

The original horses

and here are the specs:

Check out the fuel capacity - wallet shock compared to the 24 gal in the 170.
All in all, totally pleased.  Now comes the sweat equity and the pleasure.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 23, 2006, 08:33:52 AM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:33:52 AM »
Good to finally meet you Rick and I enjoyed the afternoon despite the wind.  Yes, I was impressed with the ride.  The Manatee River was about as nasty as it gets short of a tropical storm.  The only time I got spray was when we turned quartering to the wind and anything will get wet then.  The boat is clean looking and the motor sounds fine.  Unknown to you, Armando and I were looking around for and listening to that rattle when you were stretching her out.  I know he kept looking toward the motor trying to figure out what the noise was.  He was relieved when I put my hand on that aluminum bracket and the noise stopped.  I think you and your wife will enjoy her.  A good buff/wax and hopefully an easy fix to that bottom paint and she will be a looker.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 23, 2006, 09:25:03 AM
Reply #2

bluedolphin

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
Nice looking rig, Rickk. Congrats on the purchase. The $10,000 question, HOW MUCH? Did you get a good deal?

November 23, 2006, 11:08:48 AM
Reply #3

damnitbadger

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »
Nice one! How about some more interior pics? You gonna lose that bottom paint?
Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever!

88\' CCP 222 w/200 EFI Merc

November 23, 2006, 11:35:06 AM
Reply #4

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:35:06 AM »
Congratulations again, now that it's officially sitting in the driveway.  

That AS info is fascinating... you batted a home run on that one!  It's surprising that detailed records still exist.  As I was reading your post I was wondering if we could get a complete copy of their production records.  My concern is if Genmar calls it permanent quits on the AS line and the records are destroyed or lost we'd be S.O.L.

Glad to hear you & John got together for the sea trial.  Can't think of a better guy to have along. Sea conditions were right for testing things out.

Are going to do the canvas similar to Panacea?
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 23, 2006, 07:22:01 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
She's finally home!! Rickk's 230
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 07:22:01 PM »
Quote from: bluedolphin
Nice looking rig, Rickk. Congrats on the purchase. The $10,000 question, HOW MUCH? Did you get a good deal?
Thanks - I paid a fair price for the boat, I think.   :wink:
Rick

November 23, 2006, 07:29:47 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
230 Welcome
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 07:29:47 PM »
Quote from: damnitbadger
Nice one! How about some more interior pics? You gonna lose that bottom paint?
Thanks, I am scrubbing her up, looking into all the access plates, scrubbing some more, finding goodies (and expired flares).  I'll probably be able to get some more pix tomorrow when we drop her in the water to work on the trailer.  Of course, we'll have to take her for a little ride since she's already in the water :wink: :wink: :wink:
Here is one I took yesterday before scrub up - forgot to post it earlier.

More to come - is anyone else having problems uploading to our gallery or have I exceeded the "non-existent" limit?

As for the bottom paint - I have to check my buddies 240 thread and see if he answered me on my bottom paint question.  I'd rather lose the paint if the gelcoat is in good shape.
Rick

November 23, 2006, 08:03:45 PM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 08:03:45 PM »
Quote from: "JimCt"
Congratulations again, now that it's officially sitting in the driveway.
And in my signature :wink:   Thanks buddy.

That AS info is fascinating... you batted a home run on that one!  It's surprising that detailed records still exist.  As I was reading your post I was wondering if we could get a complete copy of their production records.  My concern is if Genmar calls it permanent quits on the AS line and the records are destroyed or lost we'd be S.O.L.
I was shocked that he gave me the data on my boat.   I figured it was a slim-to-none chance of getting any info but I was totally wrong.  Tom was very quick getting back with the info too.

Glad to hear you & John got together for the sea trial.  Can't think of a better guy to have along. Sea conditions were right for testing things out.
Everyone I have met in our "family" has been a nice person - JJ is no exception.  I almost forgot he was in the back of the boat it was so nasty out there.  I was focused on what I was doing, being unfamiliar with the area - didn't hear any screaming from the back  :lol:  After I'd turned the boat around was when I remembered he was there.

Are going to do the canvas similar to Panacea?
I had the canvas guy over this morning and got his quote  :shock:
The design is awesome though and will be much nicer than ANYTHING I've seen out there.  We talked back and forth for 30+ minutes before we came up with the perfect design (don't forget it's a walk-around cuddy) for helm area and rear cockpit and it is just what I want - just VERY expensive.
Imagine this - we're talking full coverage with biminis from the windshield back to the engine cutout - the biminis join by zipper so they'll be like one but can be separated and booted up for days when we don't need the coverage (and to join the 2 biminis he had to figure out how to transition/join the 2 different widths smoothly), complete enclosure with Eisenglass or equivalent 30mm stuff in 3ft zippered sections (9 sections - easier to roll up and store small sections), 2 zip in screen sections so we can have some cross ventilation when hanging out at night or in bad weather AND a complete boat cover. So it's a lot of work.
I was just telling him that I needed to talk it over with my wife and would call him, when my wife walked out and asked what we were looking at price-wise, so I told her and without a blink, she said - LETS DO IT.  I told her that the way it is laid out and designed we could tackle a little at a time so it wouldn't be so rough and she said - JUST DO IT. (and she wasn't pissed either) :shock: She did smile and say that I wouldn't be getting any birthday or Christmas presents for the next 25 years though :lol:  
Anyway, I asked the guy to sharpen his pencil and get back with me - so in the next 2 days he'll leave the quote in the mailbox.  He said it would take him a week or more to complete it, so it is a lot of work - and he does everything right here on premise.  We'll see what he comes back with. He obviously has been spending too much time on the barrier island with all the rich people.
Otta look and function very 8) though.
Rick

November 23, 2006, 08:15:42 PM
Reply #8

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
Getting the bottom paint off without harming the gelcoat would probably be best done with Peel-Away.  Sodablasting, at least in my case, caused minor pitting; not a problem since the 240 will be bottom-painted.  But for a bare-bottomed boat it will be noticeable. Only other method would be walnut shell blasting which will cut the paint but leave the bottom in good shape.  If you have a sodablaster in your area see if he can shoot walnut shells.  If he can, have a small test area on the underside of the boat done to see how it looks.

If the bottom paint was applied properly to your boat the bottom would have been sanded.  If that's the case, you'd have to wet-sand the gelcoat after the paint is removed.  Considering the labor and cost of stripping and wet-sanding, you might be better off just staying with the painted bottom.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 23, 2006, 08:32:52 PM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »
Thanks Jim - the bottom paint is a little rough, as you can see and the mechanic said he thought that the "owner used the soft stuff that washes away over time".  I see some bare spots in the paint and the gelcoat looks fine underneath.  Maybe I'll get lucky.  Now how do you do it while on the trailer? :?:
Rick

November 23, 2006, 08:34:41 PM
Reply #10

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 08:34:41 PM »
Looks like we've been crossing posts...

The canvas-work description sounds great!  Concerning the cost, look at it this way; you and your wife will be enjoying that boat long after the invoice is just a faded memory.  Not surprised your wife reacted the way she did... for several reasons.  1) The boat will be much more comfortable for her and easier on the knees, 2) The boat has a head and a space to build a meal.  3) You both can spend long days and weekends aboard and be able to keep out of the Sun.  I'd also bet she's just as excited about the boat as you are.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 23, 2006, 08:36:41 PM
Reply #11

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 08:36:41 PM »
If it's ablative paint, maybe a few hours with a pressure-washer or steam-cleaner will blow it off.  Worth a try.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 23, 2006, 09:01:20 PM
Reply #12

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
250 defined
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »
Quote from: JimCt
Looks like we've been crossing posts...

The canvas-work description sounds great!  Concerning the cost, look at it this way; you and your wife will be enjoying that boat long after the invoice is just a faded memory.  Not surprised your wife reacted the way she did... for several reasons.  1) The boat will be much more comfortable for her and easier on the knees, 2) The boat has a head and a space to build a meal.  3) You both can spend long days and weekends aboard and be able to keep out of the Sun.  I'd also bet she's just as excited about the boat as you are.
I think you're right - once she saw this boat (she never saw it before I backed her into the yard), she got very excited because it is so roomy.  Doesn't have a head - will have to get a porta-potty and that's on my list.  We'll also have to get a BBQ for the meals but that's where all the fun is (also on my list - any preferences anyone?).  She was very happy walking around the boat and immediately brought the dog onboard  <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> 

When I downloaded the 230 specs I also grabbed the specs on the Panacea - the 250 Explorer -

Dave's boat is the big brother of mine and in the 2ft difference between my boat and his is that the cabin has a marine head and a little kitchen counter/area.  His also has a bigger front-end (above cabin), 6" more beam and an enclosed transom with swim platform/bracket. The cockpit size is the same depth on both though. Actually being on his boat over the years inspired me to get one - just had to fit in the yard. His is a great "anything but skinny water" boat.  I have the best of both worlds now though, still having the 170!!
Rick

November 23, 2006, 09:15:39 PM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »
If it's ablative paint, maybe a few hours with a pressure-washer or steam-cleaner will blow it off.  Worth a try.

Great suggestion - worth a try.  I'll try it Saturday and let you know.
Rick

November 24, 2006, 07:31:52 AM
Reply #14

Bluesbrother

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:31:52 AM »
Looks great! On the Hull thruth there was a guy with a contender type boat, bottom painted, he sodablasted his and the gelcoat came out from under in great shape. The tread has pictures pricing etc. I don't think it was that expensive. I'll see if I can find the thread.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... ightmode=1
Found it :lol:
19.6 CC, T-Top, 115 HP Johnson 4 stroke, Continental All. Float on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal