Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Advice for Possible Boat  (Read 448 times)

September 08, 2019, 12:50:10 PM
Read 448 times

gata119

• Information Offline
Advice for Possible Boat
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
Looking for some advice.  What do you guys think about the peeling and cracks on the deck?  It's really noticeable along the edge where the deck meets the hull wall.  Do you think this is a redo of the deck surface or more of a new deck all together?  The tank is also about 23 years old so that might need replacing soon as well.  The boat may still be worth it if I can get a good deal and then spend a little money on the deck and gas tank. 

History:  Boat was built from a hull in 1996 in Tampa Bay area apparently.  It looks just like my 1971 240 seahunter hull.  Except for it appears to be missing a single strake that goes down the bottom of my hull.

Thanks!!!!!!!   

1971 Aquasport 240

September 09, 2019, 11:41:19 AM
Reply #1

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
Re: Advice for Possible Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »
the peeling looks like the deck wasn't prepped enough before painting/gelcoat?  That could turn into a lotta work to make it right, grinding off all the old flaky stuff that is.  If the resin was still gassing off, or if the amine blush wasn't cleaned off the paint will come off in big flakes like that.
The cracks around the edges- from the pics they look pretty well defined along the edge about 1" in right?  Seems like theres probably some deck supports along those lines creating a hard spot, get a little movement of the deck in the middle areas & theres your crack.  Without digging deeper hard to say what would fix it.  With the paint/gelcoat surface being compromised it could be a combination of the poor surface with a little movement but no real structural issues.  Is the deck still pretty hard?  Soft spots anywhere?

September 09, 2019, 12:23:39 PM
Reply #2

gata119

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
Good stuff, thank you for replying.  I am going to look at the boat on Wednesday, but seller says stringers, transom and floor are rock solid.  We will see though.  Like I said I might replace the gas tank in the near future anyway so maybe, worse case scenario, replace the floor at the same time.  I know a ton of factors come into play, but any idea ballpark cost to replace a floor like this?   

1971 Aquasport 240

September 11, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
Reply #3

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
seller says stringers, transom and floor are rock solid
floor & transom should be an easy enough inspection, stringers kinda hard to tell until you really dig into it.
if it was built the same way an old aquasport was then it will have foam filled fiberglass stringers, they won't rot but can delaminate from the hull.

ballpark cost to replace a floor like this?
doing all the work yourself the cost isn't so bad, but finding the time can be tough.  paying someone else to do it can get costly.  many many other questions too, what type of core material for the deck?  you should have about 20 sy of deck there, time to put together a spread sheet - glass, resin, core material, paint, tools, other, then add 20% to that cost.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal