Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Stripped spark threads on powerhead  (Read 931 times)

June 18, 2018, 02:40:32 PM
Reply #15

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: Stripped spark threads on powerhead
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »
Update:  local outboard mechanic gave me this cylinder head to swap onto my motor.  Looking at the condition of the interior I would say this is absolutely a no go. He is claiming that all of the mating surfaces are all  that matters and they are in good shape.   Does anybody think some of these gouges can be cleaned up a bit in the cylinder head will not create any issues with my Pistons if the mating surfaces are in great shape?  I am very uneasy about putting this on my motor in its current condition  but I am not a powerhead expert. Thanks!

What you are seeing is where a piece of broken ring went for a dance inside that cylinder head which causes those pock marks. Chances are there is still small pieces of ring stuck in that head. Toss it!
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

June 18, 2018, 04:14:22 PM
Reply #16

Brendanpd28

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 04:14:22 PM »
It was a freebie so thought I would ask......I removed the water jacket cover, just salt buildup. Damn water jacket bolts are infamous for breaking.  Thought about just going to heli-coil route for my original head, bot now I have 3 broken bolts from removing the water jacket lol. Tried plenty of PB blaster and bolt extracting to no prevail. Just ordering a replacement head off ebay. Thanks for the input all.
Brendan P. D.

July 06, 2018, 06:13:12 PM
Reply #17

Brendanpd28

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »
Update: installed the new cylinder head and head gasket. Also installed 4 new coils and had to order a new aluminum float bowl/high speed jets...must’ve torqued the drain plug a little hard on the original plastic bowl since it was cracked and leaking when I reinstalled it the first time lol. :bravo_2:
But good news is she is running better than ever! I’m sure Rebuilding the carburetor’s helped but I have a sneaking suspicion it was the ignition coils. This success also leads me to another question. I have a constant slick behind my motor stick even when NOT running. After some investigation it looks like it may be coming from where the lower unit meets the mid section? Could this be gearcase oil?? I have checked every fuel fitting and there are no leaks.The gearcase pressure tested fine before launch but this is still concerning. Gotta love these old engines!!!
Brendan P. D.

July 06, 2018, 07:06:42 PM
Reply #18

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Gearcase oil is a good thing to service anyway, if it hasn't been done for a while might be a good idea. If gearcase oil is leaking out, it will likely have water leaking in too. It will look like really milky if there is water in it. Most of the time I see an oil slick behind my rig, it is fuel or oil leaking down from the powerhead somewhere. I've replaced a lot of two stroke fuel lines and hose clamps over the years after seeing similar symptoms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal