Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 17' aquasport  (Read 2511 times)

December 12, 2010, 09:35:54 AM
Read 2511 times

Dirty

• Information Offline
17' aquasport
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
I'm looking at 17' aquasports, I picked up the cheap one a while ago and really like the boat. But Im sure it's not the best example out there.

Is there any rules to the 17' aquasport? Is a 1998 aquasport as good as an older one?

There's a few on the net right now reasonably close to my area. Most of them have motor problems, Which is good for me. Because I only want to run a lighter 75hp motor on it anyway. I find that I can get 33mph out of the 75hp and that's enough for me. Fuel economy will be nice.

So a little help with my decision here would be appreciated. Thanks

December 12, 2010, 12:25:04 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 17' aquasport
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »
Quote from: "Dirty"
I'm looking at 17' aquasports, I picked up the cheap one a while ago and really like the boat. But Im sure it's not the best example out there.

Is there any rules to the 17' aquasport? Is a 1998 aquasport as good as an older one?

There's a few on the net right now reasonably close to my area. Most of them have motor problems, Which is good for me. Because I only want to run a lighter 75hp motor on it anyway. I find that I can get 33mph out of the 75hp and that's enough for me. Fuel economy will be nice.

So a little help with my decision here would be appreciated. Thanks
The layout on the 170/175 has changed over the years, i.e. they went from a single storage lid on the casting deck up front to the usual 3 that you're used to seeing and then they went back to the single in 97/98.
Fuel tanks have gone to above deck on the older models to below deck, which frees up all that room in the console.
The liner has changed over the years too.  Rod storage has changed although it's still on the sides.  
The 97/98 has wells in the aft corners.  The older ones maybe had cleats in the aft corners.  Here is a '97 175.

Are the newer ones better?  Depends on who you ask. When Aquasport was going downhill the quality went with it.  Genmar bought them around '90 and tried to adapt their building approach to the model lines and some think that the quality went up and down there too.
The main thing is that the materials changed over the years and thus the boats did too.  The newer ones have poured transoms where the older ones have wood.
The year 2000 and later boats are a hybrid of the best of both eras it seems.  Higher sides, more deadrise and more amenities that weren't available in the old days.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 12, 2010, 12:45:46 PM
Reply #2

akbridge

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »
I would work on finding one with a solid transom and floor.  Fuel tanks look easy enough to replace.  It sounds like power isn't a concern since you want to run a 75 hp.  I like my old 1971 170.  But IMHO they are all similar layouts except for the transom cutout and the front hatch.  One thing to look at is the cable chase.  In the pic above you wouldn't have access to the cable chase like on the older boats.  See what you can get a good deal on.  Where are you located?  I will keep an eye out if you are in FL.

December 12, 2010, 01:00:27 PM
Reply #3

Dirty

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:00:27 PM »
Thanks Rick, appreciate the help here. Right now, I'm looking at a 1984 for $1500.00 There's also a 1998 that I could probably get for (2k to 2500) the 1500 dollar one looks pretty good with exception of the original seat being removed and a double leaning type post being installed.  What would be the better year of these two?

And is there any specific spots on these boats that would be cracked to show me if it's a rag or not?

December 12, 2010, 01:03:59 PM
Reply #4

Dirty

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
Thanks akbridge, I'm in Jersey. When did they stop making the cable raceway? I really don't want to lose that, That's one of thing I really like about the boat. And when they did remove it, Is the newer system still easy to work with?

December 12, 2010, 02:26:06 PM
Reply #5

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Hi Dirty,
In the old days, atleast 67-75, Aquasport`s design theory seemed to be to keep everything above deck. The rigging chase was one example. I think fuel tanks started to go below deck in 72` atleast for the 19-6 and 22-2 with a removable access hatch. The removable chase panel did make rigging easier but how often did you need to do that?  None of those early boats had bilge access. You have to cut the deck and provide access for a bilge pump! I`m not sure what they were thinking with that design. By design I guess, it was impossible for water to get into the bilge unless the hull was breached. The only other way was for water to come in through the front air scoops or the air exit vent on the port side. I always liked the bilge ventilation system. I think the older 170`s had all these features. You could walk by the boat, take a sniff at the exit vent and know wheather or not you had a fuel issue. I guess the downside of that chase panel was it was a little flimsy under your feet when you walked on it compared to the deck and of course the screws and the holes provide a means for water intrusion which equated to core rot among other things if not sealed properly. Every other boat I own or had owned had the conventional below deck rigging tube that you just snaked your cables and wiring through without much issue. For nostalgia, you cant beat the lines of the older Aquasports and it is what made the brand. The downside is even though they were built with marine plywood coring; its done after 30-40 years and most of them need a rebuild. My 22-2 is still a 73` original and my transom will be the first thing to go. I`m just trying to nurse her along for a couple more years cause mama squeeze want`s a $25,000 kitchen makeover which politcally is a wiser investment. So if you by old, plan on a rebuild unless its already been done.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

December 12, 2010, 04:24:02 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
Gran, the 170 didn't have the ventilation, at least not on mine and what I've seen.
Dirty, I'd scope each one out looking for any obvious damage, trim up the engine and lay your body on the lower unit and bounce while watching the transom - it should budge much.  A crack along the transom top is normal - where the liner comes over the transom. A little springiness in the floor is ok.
For the price you're paying perfection is only a pipe dream.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 12, 2010, 06:25:34 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
Fitz...forget the kitchen, we can live with the old one.

Rick, know your comment was for Fitz re the vents, but must add a comment re the rigging chase. It is supposed to be independent of the bilge, a closed system. Not the case on Miss Marco. She actually had a hole at the stern in the chase(hidden) about the size of a baseball. Now, just for sake of discussion, lets say the hole was the size of a golf ball, hidden beneath the gas lines, steering lines, throttle/shift cables, etc... would go undetected. Even a slight crack would allow water to flood the bilge in a heavy downpour...after all, the base of the rigging tube is much lower than the scuppers.

And with no factory bilge pump (designed closed system)......ugh.

Hope we have Geico.

December 12, 2010, 07:41:22 PM
Reply #8

akbridge

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
Quote from: "Dirty"
I'm looking at a 1984 for $1500.00 There's also a 1998 that I could probably get for (2k to 2500) the 1500 dollar one looks pretty good with exception of the original seat being removed and a double leaning type post being installed.  What would be the better year of these two?

I would go with the newer boat if you can.  At least it should have a non wood transom.  On the $1500 boat I would pay attention to the where the original seats were attached.  A lot of times rot will start there.  Most floor rot starts around the front and rear of the console.  I think the 1998 should have a livewell in the front seat of the console.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal