Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: New member with a 250 Osprey  (Read 1976 times)

November 01, 2010, 10:27:38 AM
Reply #15

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: New member with a 250 Osprey
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
Sometimes a boat can be built one year and registered as a later year - this happens sometimes when a boat is sold in a non-title state in the year after being built.  You get a bill of sale, not a title, no often it may not be tied to the HIN.  If the boat is titled later, the title agency often uses the original bill of sale for the year model.  So a '86 could be listed and even titled as an '87 if it was sold in '87 in a non-title state.  Also, sometimes the manufacturers will keep a couple last year stock around until the following year and sell them as the following year model if there are no changes in the next model year.  

I had a Procraft that I bought new in 1980 that had a 1979 HIN, but was sold as a 1980 model and had a 1980 title.  When I questioned it, the dealer said some '79s were "kept over" at Procraft and sold at '80 models.  There were no changes in the design or manufacture between 79 and 80, so what's the diff?  But it never seem quite right to me...  Also, like cars, sometimes the next model year comes out in the fall of the previous year.  So you can buy a 2011 boat now, but it's going to have a 2010 HIN, cuz it was make last week.  The boat may be a 2011 model, but with a 2010 manufacture date.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 01, 2010, 11:18:08 AM
Reply #16

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
Sometimes a boat can be built one year and registered as a later year - this happens sometimes when a boat is sold in a non-title state in the year after being built.  You get a bill of sale, not a title, no often it may not be tied to the HIN.  If the boat is titled later, the title agency often uses the original bill of sale for the year model.  So a '86 could be listed and even titled as an '87 if it was sold in '87 in a non-title state.  Also, sometimes the manufacturers will keep a couple last year stock around until the following year and sell them as the following year model if there are no changes in the next model year.  

I had a Procraft that I bought new in 1980 that had a 1979 HIN, but was sold as a 1980 model and had a 1980 title.  When I questioned it, the dealer said some '79s were "kept over" at Procraft and sold at '80 models.  There were no changes in the design or manufacture between 79 and 80, so what's the diff?  But it never seem quite right to me...  Also, like cars, sometimes the next model year comes out in the fall of the previous year.  So you can buy a 2011 boat now, but it's going to have a 2010 HIN, cuz it was make last week.  The boat may be a 2011 model, but with a 2010 manufacture date.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and thanks for that clarification!  When I looked at iboats.com, the 1986 list includes:

1986 Aquasport 170 Osprey
1986 Aquasport 200 Osprey
1986 Aquasport 222 Osprey

No 250 available...

And the 1987 list includes:

1987 Aquasport 250 OSP
1987 Aquasport 250 OSP TM

It seems incredible difficult to get information on these boats.  I guess a couple changes in ownership of the company and then going out of business will do that?!
"King of the C\'s"

1986 250 Osprey with a 2012 E-Tec 200 HO

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

November 10, 2010, 09:04:14 PM
Reply #17

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
Got some bad news today.  I need an engine... the Yamaha I have is a 1985 and has a variety of issues so I am told.  Here is part of the news via email:

Hi Jay, Attempted to start the motor, NG. Checked compression found 120    110    only one cyl. Low but not terrible. Fuel is bad and needs to get pumped out.
                                                                                                                                                125    125
                                                                                                                                                120    130
Carbs will probably need to be rebuilt. But biggest problem is there is only spark on 2 cylinders intermittently. This could be a couple of different components and will take some time to figure out…I’m not sure how far into this you want me to get. Let me know…Thanks

What to do... I am thinking I should try to pick up a pre-90's Yamaha so the wiring harness is the same... any idea how much I may be looking at to replace the engine?  Is it worth t he $$ to rebuild?  Anyone know anyone near or in Ct that has one for sale or is reputable?  The boat is currently at Beacon Point in Shelton on the Housatonic River.
"King of the C\'s"

1986 250 Osprey with a 2012 E-Tec 200 HO

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

November 10, 2010, 10:14:14 PM
Reply #18

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
Jay
Not 100% sure, but I think anything up to the mid 90's is still all the same harness, I had a 95 225, and the wiring was the same for all instruments and such for early 90's.  Those were very good motors, the compression numbers don't sound that bad, and part of it could be carbon build up which could be cleared after the engine gets running correctly.  A lot of your question depends on how much you can do yourself?  If you can get a fuel pump, hand crank, electric etc... and get the gas out of the tank, pull new fuel lines, and install a good water separating fuel filter that would be a start.  Rebuilds on the carbs is not that expensive, you can save some $$ if you are able to pull them yourself, and take them to the mechanic, and then reinstall them yourself, probably talking 200-300 bucks for a complete rebuild.  The no spark issue could be a stator, or a few other things, but might only run a few hundred on that older motor.  How is the lower unit?  Have you pulled the plug to see if there is water in the oil.  It sounds like the only "unknown" is the ignition issue, ask your mech what it will cost to diagnose the problem and go from there.  I would probably not put more than around 500- 700 in that motor, being an 85.  After that I would look for repower in the mid 90's, probably around 2500 for a good clean motor. This is an excellent time of year for used motor sales.  
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal